Orthodox tea refers to the tea which is made or processed using traditional method. Orthodox teas are generally bright and brisk and have a multilayered flavor profile.
Orthodox Tea is produced using the traditional methods of Tea production which includes plucking, withering , rolling, oxidation and drying.
Orthodox tea’s are carefully rolled or shaped into various sizes and styles depending on the type of tea being produced. Orthodox processing is used to produce various styles of loose leaf tea, including white, green, oolong and black
Let us look in detail about the processing of Orthodox tea
How Orthodox tea is made
Plucking Tea leaves are handpicked by tea pluckers and usually they store it in bamboo baskets which is tied to their back with a piece of cloth.
Withering Freshly plucked tea leaves are spread and laid out indoors or outdoors under the sun to remove the moisture content. Withering softens the tea leaves, making them flexible and supple so they won’t crumble during the rest of the processing steps.
Rolling After the withering process the tea leaves are than rolled to the desired shape either by using machines or by hand-pressing.
Oxidizing Oxidising is a process that helps the tea leaves attain their ultimate flavor, color , appearance and aroma. The level of oxidization determines or distinguishes different types of tea.
Drying The oxidized teas are further dried in optimum temperature before they are sent for final packaging and transportation.
Now as you know how Orthodox tea is made , let us explore the benefits of Orthodox tea
Benefits of Orthodox Tea
- It is high in Antioxidants as compared to CTC which looses its antioxidant quality comparatively due to machine processing.
- Antioxidants helps to neutralize damaged cells which help us to look and feel better.
- Helps prevent Cardiovascular Disease
- Loose leaf Tea has been shown to have a calming effect on the body and especially helps boost mental clarity.
- Loose leaf teas retain the Authentic Taste and are comparatively more rich in flavour and colour.
- Loose leaf teas are organically processed thus giving it an advantage over the other in terms of quality.
- Typical tea bags are produced on an industrial scale and may sit in a warehouse or on a shelf for a long time before you ever get them. These low-grade leaves are usually picked, processed, and packaged by machines overseas.In contrast, our premium teas are carefully hand-selected and crafted by tea masters.