Essiac tea the herbal brew originated from Canada is available in powdered form and has a shelf life of 1 to 2 years .Four types of herbs when mixed together make the Essiac Tea. The herbs include: burdock root, sheep sorrel, slippery elm and Indian rhubarb root. Now lets take a detail into the four types of herbs:
• Burdock root — Studies showed that this burdock root have apoptotic effects on cancer cells, and that a compound called benzaldehyde found in the root helped slow down tumor prevention in animals.
• Sheep sorrel — This antioxidant-rich herb aids targeting cancer cells and lowering the risk of cancer development.
• Slippery elm — This aids in reducing inflammation as well as detoxifying the body.
• Indian rhubarb root — Consists of anticancer as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
Ingredients for making the Essiac Tea at home:
- 1/1/2 pounds chopped burdock root
- 1 pound of powdered sheep sorrel
- ¼ pound of powdered slippery elm
- 1 ounce powdered Indian rhubarb root
Method of preparing Essiac Tea:
- First of all, mix all 4 herbs and store it in an air-tight container.
- Boil the required water for at least 15 minutes.
- Pour 1 ounce of herbal mix into the boiling water.
- Let it steep for 12 hours, so cover it with the lid
- Next day reheat the water but do not boil
- Strain out those herbs
- Pour into a ceramic container
- Refrigerate it and add honey, sugar as per the taste.
- Essiac tea has anti-inflammatory, immunostimmulant, antioxidant, capabilities.
- Mostly known for its potential anticancer effects